While I was away on a trip to the East Coast, my husband decided to try his hand at making play dough from scratch. This is coming from a husband who has never baked or made a dessert in his life! But amazingly it worked! He found this recipe on the Internet and it turned out so well, I want to share it.
All you need:
1 cup all purpose plain flour
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup salt
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
¾ cup boiling water
Food coloring (optional)
A few drops of glycerine (optional – adds more shine!)
1. Mix the flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a large mixing bowl
2. Add food coloring to the boiling water, then slowly add small amounts of this colored boiling water into the dry ingredients gradually until a sticky dough mixture is achieved.
3. Stir continuously until the materials combined into a dough
4. You can glycerine if you would like to, otherwise move on to step 5.
5. Allow it to cool down before removing the dough out of the bowl.
6. Knead the dough quickly and vigorously for a few minutes until you get the perfect dough consistency. (if it is still sticky after a couple of minutes of kneading, you can add a smidget of flour until it is no longer sticky).
A few tips: Put the finished product in a sealed container and it should stay good for a few months in a dark cool storage place. My husband didn’t put any glycerine in the play dough, but it still turned out fine. Also, you don’t need to refrigerate the dough. If you want to make twice the portion of play dough, just double the recipe with the ingredients above!