As promised, here’s the first of a few baby/toddler friendly recipes I’ve developed—Curry Chickpea Patty Cakes. It’s super easy to make and cook, and even freezes (and thaws out) well. And the best part? It’s toddler approved!
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans (unsalted if possible), drained and rinsed
- ¼- ½ cup of panko bread crumbs/regular bread crumbs (may add more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1-2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼-1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- Olive oil for frying, as needed
- Place drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, ¼ cup panko bread crumbs, olive oil, egg, parsley, curry powder, garlic powder, lemon juice (optional), onion (optional) and black pepper in a food processor or blender. Puree until mixture thickens and can be molded. Add more bread crumbs as needed so the mixture is not too moist.
- Roll mixture into the size of a ping pong balls; place these on a plate.
- Press into patties and coat lightly with bread crumbs.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Pan-fry patties until crispy, about 3 minutes on each side.
This may be a hit with all in the family. Enjoy!